welcome to my blog...

I have had a plan to create a personalized Wellness Recovery Action Program (WRAP) to help me manage my disability: Bipolar Disorder. I decided to write down in a binder a Daily Page that outlined the things I did everyday, focusing on some basic information to help me track my recent habits. I am hoping to change these daily/semi-daily blogs so that they will help me form my personalized WRAP. I will also be adding links that I think are significant to Mental Illness and also a separate link list for WRAP interests.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mourning A Good Thing And Having my Brain Turn It Around On Me...

WEDNESDAY, JULY 13, 2011

Mood - I went to bed around 4:00 am. I got to sleep around 5:00 am. I was a little sad most of the day because I felt that J might have been lying to me about going to the beach. It didn't bother me if she had wanted to spend the day with the boys or whatever. I just feel like J didn't want to spend time with me. I spent most of the day trying to reason with myself. J didn't hate me. I didn't want a repeat of yesterday. I wasn't depressing and a drag to be around. My mind hounded me.

Physical - I got up around 9:30 am. My knee is sore and hurts this morning. I took the meds. when I got up. I texted J that my driver's license was in her car. She asked if I needed it then. I told her I didn't. They didn't come by for at least an hour. J said that they were going home and not stopping at Scarborough. So we said goodbye.

Woke up - I woke up 9:30 am, Mom wasn't home from skating yet. I went online until we went to P and S's house. I took the gummi vitamins at 11:15 pm the allergy/excedrin around 9:30 am.

Activities - I woke up and texted  about my license in the bag in her car. She came about an hour and a half later. I e-mailed Dr. Gross about my knee after Katherine called from the walk-in center about the Lymes' disease. I also gave the piñata it's final coat of white paint. Around 11:30 am Mom came home from skating. She made lunch, tuna salad on whole wheat bread and watermelon slice. We left for P and S's house after Dad took a shower and changed. He smelled SO BAD!! 
We drove to Portsmouth. L is getting taller and o is so cute. Dad sat in the living room on the couch the whole time. Finally after about an hour and a half he started to get bitchy and the pouty lip came out. We left for home via the Navy's Melville road. I came upstairs and went online. I found a lot of links to add here. 
Mom baked some Polluck with a corn flake topping. We ate that with a fruit salad, yams and peas. I ate 4 raw hot dogs later in around 11:00 pm. I cleared the table. Mom baked an upside down blueberry cake that was moist and tender. 
I came up here and watched another episode of Hoarders. I wrote this blog late but wrote the Daily Page earlier. 

WRAP - I wrote today's blog. I wrote today's Daily Page. I gathered quite a lot of links today.

Plans for Tomorrow I plan on getting up. I plan on doing an activity for WRAP. I may finish decorating the piñata. 
  
{I want to change a bad habit so that I 1) Stop doing something bad 2) exchange the bad action with a positive action 3) and get a result that will help me in my life.}

A reminder: On the 19th is the RIBSG at Warwick Public Library room 100, 6:30 pm. Mom will be going to NY the weekend of C's birthday, the 15th and the 14th August. E is planning on going with her so I need to plan for at least 2 days worth of menus. I need to papier-mâché the piñata's trap door closed and decorate it the July birthday party cookout. I can't find the little gifts from the last piñata. I also need to wrap E's and L's gifts (when SM's gift comes.) ALSO CALL JONNYCAKE CENTER FOR FOOD BASKETS OR EXTRA FOOD. AND MAIL THE ENVELOPE TO HUMAN SERVICES. Sept. 19 through October 1st I will be in Philadelphia. There's a conference Sept 18 through the 21st. in Philadelphia too. 

Things that gave me joy today and things that made me feel better about myself:
Joy: Seeing L and O and talking to Selena.
Made me feel better about myself: had a hard time with this today. 

Some Other Links That May Help:

ISSUES
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/when-docs-get-annoyed-at-empowered-patients.html
posted by Lissa Rankin Jul 12, 2011 11:03 am
Doctors, who get annoyed by patients who ask questions, second guess them, read stuff on the internet, and make their own decisions based on their own gut instinct, need to get off their high horses and get over themselves.

ISSUES
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/07/07/ep.doctors.complaining.cohen/index.html?hpt=hp_bn6
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • A presentation about difficult patients on QuantiaMD has drawn plenty of ire
  • Although "Internet patients" might be annoying, online information has saved many
  • Patient advocates, doctors agree there are good and bad ways to share online information
By Elizabeth Cohen, CNN Senior Medical Correspondent
July 7, 2011 7:22 a.m. EDT
It's part of a physician-to-physician educational presentation titled "Managing the Difficult Patient" on QuantiaMD, which has drawn thousands of views from doctors and a good bit of ire from patients. (You must register to view, but it's free.)
In particular, the segment "The Patient Who Knows Too Much" has angered patient advocates such as Reynolds and Tenderich. In it, a fictitious patient named "Will," represented by a nerdy looking avatar holding a laptop computer, deluges his doctor with information about "one disease or another" that he's learned online about

ISSUES
http://patients.about.com/od/therightdoctorforyou/a/docpatientcomm.htm
There are more challenges than ever in today's healthcare environment. Limited appointment time, the ability of patients to do their own research which then needs to be discussed with practitioners, and the numbers of patients who are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed; these challenges and others make effective communications between patients and their practitioners more important than ever.
ISSUES
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/news/empoweredpatient/
The Empowered Patient has more information about the best ways to communicate online information with your doctor, as does Trisha Torrey, About.com's patient-empowerment expert.

ISSUES
http://patients.about.com/od/therightdoctorforyou/a/shareinternet.htm
Between 79 and 87% of Internet users spend time searching for health and medical information, according to Pew Internet, a group that studies these kinds of things. Yet, when we patients try to share that information with our doctors, we are often frustrated by the experience. Sometimes our doctors are curt or dismissive. Sometimes they even get angry. Even if they don't say so in so many words, all we need to do is watch their body language to know we've rubbed them the wrong way.
This doesn't mean we shouldn't be researching health topics online, nor does it mean we shouldn't discuss our findings with our doctors.
What it does mean is that we need a process that will help us find information worth sharing, then a way to approach our doctors to keep them from getting upset.
ISSUES
http://patients.about.com/
Trisha Torrey
Patient Empowerment Guide

ACTIVITIES
http://patients.about.com/od/caringforotherpatients/a/patadvocacy.htm

Patient advocacy is a concept that most think they understand, but probably don't comprehend the scope.
In its simplest terms, patient advocacy regards any activity which ultimately benefits a patient. Using that definition, it can apply to caregiving for an individual patient, to groups that develop policies and advice that help patients, to government groups that develop legislation to improve systems or processes for patients.

ISSUES 
http://www.owningpink.com/blogs/owning-pink/the-doctor-patient-relationship-part-one
When I was training to become a physician, the rules of the broken, outdated, patriarchal medical system were made clear to me. I’m going to propose a new agreement, one that will forge the way and shine a light on The New Medicine - a system I dream of and believe in my heart-of-hearts is possible.
Since I have decided to put my white coat back on, I am committed to rewriting the rules, shaking up the system, and tapping into my gifts as a physician while doing things my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment