welcome to my blog...

I have had a plan to create a personalized Wellness Recovery Action Program (WRAP) to help me manage my disability: Bipolar Disorder. I decided to write down in a binder a Daily Page that outlined the things I did everyday, focusing on some basic information to help me track my recent habits. I am hoping to change these daily/semi-daily blogs so that they will help me form my personalized WRAP. I will also be adding links that I think are significant to Mental Illness and also a separate link list for WRAP interests.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Some More Links, Osprey Observation and Olavi Passes On...


Some More Links, Osprey Observation and Olavi Passes On...

WEDNESDAY, JULY 6, 2011


Mood - I went to bed around 2:00 am. I didn't eat after 9:00 pm. My mood: I felt headachy and crappy all day but motivated to be active.
Physical - I got up around 11:00 am. My knee is sore and hurts behind my calf not so good this morning. I felt the allergies today and forgot to take the meds. until 2:00 pm. My leg improved. I went swimming and into Jerusalem and set the table. 

Woke up - I woke up before 11:00 am the saw next door was going off giving e a headache. I stuck some earplugs in after Q-tipping my ears clean. I read "Shakey" a little more. And called Donna about the RIBSG meeting and my topic. I also took the gummi vitamins at 7:00 pm and the allergy/excedrin around 2:00 pm.

Activities - I woke up to the construction guys next door and their buzz saw. I wanted to kill them. I went to the bathroom, cleaned my ears and stuck the ear plugs in. Laying in bed reading "Shakey" I took a break. I went downstairs and ate lunch just as my stomach got nauseous. Raisin bagel with melted cheese on top and some potato salad from the fourth. Mom told me she was planning on going swimming. So about 12:30 pm we went for a dip swimming across Lil' Comfort inlet. The menidia and the mummichogs were swimming. Menidia nibbled and darted at my legs, eating dry skin while I sat on the opposite cove on the flooded estuary. I can't believe people pay for this in some places. Wait a minute I can! It's relaxing and feels ticklish and like a blanket is being run over your legs as the fish school by and nibble off the dead skin. Wrapped in towels, Mom and I came up the front yard, buried one of the zucchini plants Mom accidently pulled out of the ground with some more soil. I got into the bathroom and took a cool long shower, cleaning off my bathing suit as i cleaned myself. I wrung out my clothes and got into my terry cloth robe then hung out my wet suit. Mom got as I sat with a catalog "Signals" and leisurely read some of the neat items and the stupid items they had. I headed upstairs when Mom came down dressed and asked if I was ready to go observe the ospreys with her. 
 She agreed to stop by the UPs store so I could photocopy some Daily Page empties. I spent the $5.35 on 25 sheets. First though we went to Rite Aide so she could get pads for Dad's chairs. I bought a Diet Mountain Dew ($1.70!!!) so I could take my excedrin migraine and allergy pills. We then tooled over to Jerusalem which was packed with people leaving the beach. The fog was rolling in and the tourists were getting cold. We parked near DEM and as Mom used the binoculars I took a few pictures of the osprey in her nest. She had at least one chick before but we couldn't see it this time. We left with her getting upset with us which was weird because all these people and cars were around her and she didn't seem to care about them even with 2 tourists watching her through their own binoculars. 
We drove over to UPs and the guy behind the counter copied my sheet. Some old lady was busy using the copy machine. Leaving we went to Indian Rock Road to the other Osprey. She was pissed as usual but we couldn't see her fledglings either. mom was worried because underneath her nest looked like nesting materials had been kicked off the platform. Did something climb up and eat the little ospreys? We'll never know.
Once I came home I went on line. I wrote down some local and national links for mental health on the txt document that I record these finds on for the Blog (below). I messaged Donna about the 19th and the theme of the meeting I plan on setting. I fed the fish around 5:00 pm.
Around 5:30 pm I went downstairs to check on Mom. I helped Mom cook her mixed grill stir fry. I set the table and took out everyone's drinks. Beef and chicken stir fry with rice and a fruit salad was delicious and simple as well as took care of some leftover vegetables. I cleared the table. The cake from the fourth was cut into 3 pieces for Mom, Dad and I. I washed the dinner pans and loaded the dishwasher as Mom and Dad ate cake. I finished my cake off after telling Mom to call me when Jeopardy was over so we could watch "The King and I" old school version. I am upstairs typing out this blog.
We watched the movie and I came upstairs and posted a link to Olavi's obituary on facebook. 
I could not sleep all night. I worked on my blog links which was positive maintenance but my mind was working and I am avoiding thinking too much about death and Olavi. I didn't get to bed before the sun came up.

WRAP - I wrote today's blog. I wrote today's Daily Page. I found some links about mental illness online. I also printed out 25 more Daily Page templates.

Plans for Tomorrow I plan on getting up. I plan on accomplishing an activity for the WRAP book. I'll work on decorating the piñata. I plan on going to the senior center for the food subsidies.
  
{I want to change a bad habit so that I 1) Stop doing something bad 2) exchange the bad action with a positive action 3) and get a result that will help me in my life.}

A reminder: K and I are planning on doing Indian this coming weekend. July 11th, 12th and 13th Jane is planning on coming to the Dutch Inn with her boys. On the 19th is the RIBSG at Warwick Public Library room 100, 6:30 pm. Mom will be going to NY the weekend of C's birthday, the 15th and the 14th August. E is planning on going with her so I need to plan for at least 2 days worth of menus. I need to papier-mâché the piñata's trap door closed and decorate it the July birthday party cookout. I can't find the little gifts from the last piñata. I also need to wrap E's, L's and SM's gifts (when SM's gift comes.) ALSO CALL JONNYCAKE CENTER FOR FOOD BASKETS OR EXTRA FOOD. AND MAIL THE ENVELOPE TO HUMAN SERVICES. Sept. 19 through October 1st I will be in Philadelphia. There's a conference Sept 18 through the 21st. in Philadelphia too. 

Things that gave me joy today and things that made me feel better about myself:
Joy: Swimming down back.
Made me feel better about myself: Helping Mom before and after dinner. 

Some Other Links That May Help:

http://www.mhari.org/help.html
The mission of the Mental Health Association of Rhode Island is to promote mental health, prevent mental illness, and improve mental health services through advocacy, education, and research.
Help & Information
Rhode Island - MHA of Rhode Island
Independence Square
500 Prospect Street, Wing C
Pawtucket,
Rhode Island  02860

Phone: 401.726.2285
Toll-Free: N/A
Fax: 401.365.6170
Email: mmhari@mhari.org
A division of the National Mental Health Association, the Mental Health Association of Rhode Island (MHARI) is a state-wide private, non-profit organization composed of concerned citizens dedicated to the promotion of mental health, greater understanding of mental illness, and improved services for people with mental disorders.
http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/
Mental Health America (formerly known as the National Mental Health Association) is the country’s leading nonprofit dedicated to helping ALL people live mentally healthier lives. With our more than 320 affiliates nationwide, we represent a growing movement of Americans who promote mental wellness for the health and well-being of the nation – everyday and in times of crisis.
http://www.liveyourlifewell.org/
You Can Live Your Life Well
Welcome to Live Your Life Well, the website designed to help you cope better with stress and create more of the life you want.
Maybe you're holding down two jobs or can't find work. Maybe you're the parents of young children or the children of aging parents. Maybe you face a rush of daily demands or one potentially life-changing challenge. Whatever your situation, we are here to help.                                                The non-profit Mental Health America has been working for 100 years to promote well-being for all Americans. Now we have put together the 10 Tools to Live Your Life Well. Based on extensive scientific evidence, these tools can help you relax, grow and flourish. They can help you Live Your Life Well.
The 10 Tools
These proven tools can help you feel stronger and more hopeful. Check out each page for specific, easy-to-follow tips.
  1. Connect with others
  2. icon_stay_connected1.gif
  3. 1.gif
  4. Stay positive
  5. icon_stay_positive.gif
  6. 2.gif
  7. Get physically active
  8. icon_physically_active.gif
  9. 3.gif
  10. Help others
  11. icon_help_others.gif
  12. 4.gif
  13. Get enough sleep
  14. icon_sleep.gif
  15. 5.gif
  16. Create joy and satisfaction
  17. icon_joy.gif
  18. 6.gif
  19. Eat well
  20. icon_eat_well.gif
  21. 7.gif
  22. Take care of your spirit
  23. icon_spirit.gif
  24. 8.gif
  25. Deal better with hard times
  26. icon_deal_better.gif
  27. 9.gif
  28. Get professional help if you need it


http://register.mentalhealthscreening.org/Locator1.aspx?MPEID=2
ndsd.jpg

Nation Depression Screening Day
Listing of NDSD Screening Sites.
Click on the state then city/town where you live to take an online screening or to find an in-person event.
Please note: Screening sites are continously being added so please check back on a regular basis for additional sites in your area. For a list of International sites, click here .
Call these sites directly for directions and hours for the free screenings. Sites with spanish speaking staff available are marked with an asterisk (*).


www.mentalhealthscreening.org/screening/BUTLERHOSPITAL
Welcome to the Screening Program

Welcome to Butler Hospital’s online mental health screening. In an effort to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of psychiatric illness, we have recently enhanced our screening tool. This web-based tool allows you to take an anonymous self-assessment for five different brain-based illnesses, including depression, bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, alcohol addiction, and posttraumatic stress disorder.  


Advances in diagnosing and understanding the causes of psychiatric disorders are showing how common and widespread these illnesses are. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), an estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — over 57 million people — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. In addition, brain-based disorders are the leading cause of disability in the United States and Canada for ages 15-44. The good news is that these illnesses are very treatable. The key is to recognize the symptoms and seek help.

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/action/Advocacy_Guide.pdf

Mental Health America’s Advocacy Network
Learn how to be an affective advocate! Read our advocacy guide (pdf) and resources on how best to communicate with your legislators:
http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/action/about-mha-s-public-policy-and-advocacy/resources-on-how-to-best-communicate

No comments:

Post a Comment